Flood Insurance & Legal issues

Flood Insurance & Legal Issues

Being insured is important to get your life back after a flood has destroyed your home.  It can be very expensive if you don’t have the right insurance in place.

Flood Damage

Flood Insurance and legal issues

• If emergency repairs are required which can’t wait for discussions to have occurred with your insurance company, get them done, but inform your insurer and keep any receipts and details of the cost as this will form part of your claim.

• Any large scale should wait, if possibly, until you have your insurer’s approval.

• Contact your insurer immediately. Nearly all have 24-hour emergency helplines available.

• It’s recommended that you take pictures and if possible use video so that you have a clear record of the damage that’s occurred. Try and be comprehensive, including watermarks, the home structure (external and internal), furniture and contents.

• Also make a list of damaged and lost items and place it somewhere safe.

• Don’t discard any items you feel are of value as this could affect your insurance claim.

• If you rent your home, contact your landlord immediately and, if you have your own contents insurance policy, the company you’re covered with.

• Cars are often damaged along with property and possessions. If you have a comprehensive policy, your vehicle will in all likelihood be covered. Again, contact your car insurer as soon as possible after the event.

• If you don’t have any insurance, you should be able to get information on charities and any hardship grants available from either your local authority or the NFF.

What the insurance company will do

• Your insurer will send a loss adjustor to assess the damage and confirm what they will cover in terms of returning your property to its previous condition and paying for lost or damaged items.

• The loss adjustor should arrange for a professional cleaning company to clean up. If the damage is severe, this will be a contractor which will quite possibly gut your property of damaged walls, kitchens, floors, damaged items etc.

• Depending on your level of cover, your insurer may pay for temporary accommodation and/or rent on a temporary home. Check your policy for this as it’s doubtful the insurer will offer it without you asking.

• Read the small print of your policy very carefully, this will help arm you with information if you come into disagreement with your insurer.

• You may want to appoint your own loss adjustor. Loss adjustors are, in theory, independent, but nevertheless it can be wise to get a truly independent opinion if you enter into a dispute.

Read more

©2023 How Would We Survive? Website Designed by Tatty


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.




Take this test to see if you could survive a disaster, would you know what to do for food, water or shelter.  Find out if you have got what it takes to survive.  


Answer these 10 questions and find out if you are a natural born SURVIVOR

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?